Sunday, July 6, 2008

weekend summary

so maybe the weekend isn't over, but I've been out of work for a while now and it seems like the longest weekend ever. So here I am at home... actually waiting to feel useful and get some work done. I really do not mind being at home and just relaxing, who doesn't? A vacation is always welcomed. I don't mind being at home relaxing, but not when I can't do much. I almost feel useless because I am limited as to what I can and cannot do. The pain is still a bit much for me, but each day I improve in something. This morning was exciting - I got to sleep on one of my sides instead of on my back all night. To me that is a huge accomplishment. Just a couple of days ago I had to roll outta bed like a rollie pollie.
so let me give you a bit of information on what surgery I had. I had to remove my gall bladder due to some gall stones. Some really painful gallstones. I've had them for about 5 years or more now. But the pain has recently started and become unbearable as my lifestyle has changed.
what is your gallbladder ? wikipedia states: The gallbladder (or cholecyst, sometimes gall bladder) is a small organ whose function in the body is to harbor bile and aid in the digestive process. The gallbladder stores about 50 ml (1.7 US fluid ounces / 1.8 Imperial fluid ounces) of bile, which is released when food containing fat enters the digestive tract, stimulating the secretion of cholecystokinin (CCK). The bile, produced in the liver, emulsifies fats and neutralizes acids in partly digested food. After being stored in the gallbladder the bile becomes more concentrated than when it left the liver, increasing its potency and intensifying its effect on fats.
what causes a gallstone ? wikipedia states: Researchers believe that gallstones may be caused by a combination of factors, including inherited body chemistry, body weight, gallbladder motility (movement), and perhaps diet. Additionally, people witherythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP)are at increased risk to develop gallstones. Cholesterol gallstones develop when bile contains too much cholesterol and not enough bile salts. Besides a high concentration of cholesterol, two other factors seem to be important in causing gallstones. The first is how often and how well the gallbladder contracts; incomplete and infrequent emptying of the gallbladder may cause the bile to become overconcentrated and contribute to gallstone formation. The second factor is the presence of proteins in the liver and bile that either promote or inhibit cholesterol crystallization into gallstones. In addition, increased levels of the hormone estrogen as a result of pregnancy, hormone therapy, or the use of combined (estrogen-containing) forms of hormonal contraception, may increase cholesterol levels in bile and also decrease gallbladder movement, resulting in gallstone formation.
No clear relationship has been proven between diet and gallstone formation. However, low-fibre, high-cholesterol diets, and diets high in starchy foods have been suggested as contributing to gallstone formation. Other nutritional factors that may increase risk of gallstones include rapid weight loss, constipation, eating fewer meals per day, eating less fish, and low intakes of the nutrients folate, magnesium, calcium, and vitamin C. On the other hand, wine and whole grain bread may decrease the risk of gallstones.

what did they have to do to remove these painful suckers? wikipedia states: Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: 3-4 small puncture holes for camera and instruments (available since the 1980s). Typically same-day release or one night hospital stay, followed by a week of home rest and pain medication. Can resume normal diet and light activity a week after release. (Decreased energy level and minor residual pain for a month or two.) Studies have shown that this procedure is as effective as the more invasive open cholecystectomy, provided the stones are accurately located by cholangiogram prior to the procedure so that they can all be removed. The procedure also has the benefit of reducing operative complications such as bowel perforation and vascular injury.
and what does this all mean now??? no more sleepless nights. no more painful days. I now have to watch what I am eating because greasy food can cause cramps or diarrhea. That should not be a problem especially since I have made some changes to my lifestyle. Healthier is better. This does not mean no more pain, time to eat the cheeseburger and the chilli cheese fries. I want to avoid any kind of cramping or discomfort.
Thanks for the people that came to visit me and wished me well. Now I am off to a great Sunday and a healthier week to come.

for now ... enjoy the silence --

Cin

2 silence breakers:

~PaRuPaRo~ said...

Get Well Soon!
So when do you go back to work?

savor - silence - savor - cin said...

I am back today. Something about being at home doing nothing made me have restless legs syndrome.
so here I am and my back is hurting already. so back to work it is!

Post a Comment

break the silence... leave me a comment

All work found on Savor Silence by Cin
Creative Commons License
is copyrighted and licensed under a Creative Commons License
For more info, go to http://creativecommons.org/.