Monday, December 1, 2008

new era

last August I was in Las Vegas on my bed in the MGM for the weekend. I remember sitting on the bed while the TV was on and I was straightening my hair. Mr. Tortilla Face was showering. The news was playing, something about some new frenzy from a lot of readers. I did not pay that much attention to it, I just remembered that a movie was coming out in November and that it had something to do with this frenzy. The rest of the weekend, this Twilight movie and book kept calling out to me. Apparently, it wanted my attention. So after the 10th time of seeing it flicker on the news, I decided to pay attention. There it was in front of me - a series about vampires. I am usually up to date with all new books and such, but this one must have slipped by. I knew then and there that I had to get these books. And that is just what I did... I bought all 4 of them.
I didn't open them though. While in Vegas, they became an extra bag with four heavy books that I had to carry around. As a matter of fact, when I got home that is just what they remained. Four heavy books in a box of other books from my collection. I kept telling myself that I would get to them, but something would always come up... like preparations for my sister's wedding and such. And then the movie came out. Now it just seemed like if it was pointless to read them. The books had become a trend and I tried to convince myself that I did not want to be part of that trend.
But this weekend - all of that went out the window. Mr. Tortilla Face left me on Saturday to go see Notre Dame get spanked by USC. I decided to stay home and chill. I knew that I was either going to sit and watch movies, sit online and listen to music, or read a book. I decided to pick up Twilight and read. So there I was Saturday night, I had just finished rocking out on RockBand, it was about 8pm, and I started to read.
I finished the book the following day at 4:15pm. holy crap I was hooked. I became a freakin' twilighter. So of course, being the dramatic person that I am - I rushed to take a shower and as soon as I got out it was Tortilla Face's turn to get out of bed and do the same. While he showered I started reading New Moon. Two chapters later, we head out to the movies.
I will admit one thing about this book - it was great. The way she writes makes it quite easy to follow along and keep reading. The story itself is my kind of story. Edward is a freakin' vampire and something inside of me has always had an attraction for these beings. Always. To me vampires=sex. If I could come back as anything it would be as a vampire. I would have to be beautiful of course. And whomever my mate was would have to be the most beautiful creature anyone had ever seen. All the others would want him, but it did not matter because he would only have eyes for me.... do you see my obsession? So when I sat there waiting for the previews to flash, I got nervous. I was really nervous to see if they would do justice to the book and the excellent story-telling. And then it started.
Being the analytical person that I am (and the fact that I had just finished reading the book), I realized that a lot of my favorite parts of this book had been omitted from the movie. And a lot of parts that had nothing to do with the book were included. I actually sat in the theater annoyed. I made the best of it and watched as the two characters interacted. I pictured them in my head like I usually do when I read. The actors could not have been chosen better. And then it was all over. Just like that. It made me sad. I wanted to rush home to continue reading. So I did.
Although I know that I am a pretty quick reader, I do have an outside life to tend to that will not allow me to sit and read 24-7. I have to work. And eat. And pay attention to Tortilla Face and my friends and family. So now, I have to play hooky with these books. I will sneak them in as much as I can. I will take them to work and read during lunch. I will prop it open and read a couple of pages and head back to work. I will take it to the gym and open it while I run my daily miles. I will read as I wait for my dinner to be cooked. And when Tortilla Face sleeps, I will read. That is pretty bad huh?
Let me explain my problem. Reading is a bit of an obsession for me. Reading a good book helps feed the obsession. Reading a great book makes the obsession lethal. Reading a great book that is about vampires is an orgasm after another (ok that might be a bit much, but you get the point). I get so engrossed by the characters and the story that I secretly wish that I was part of them. I get so involved that when I finish the book, I feel a bit of emptiness. So I rush to the next book and the next until there is no more. This is where I am right now. Wishing that Edward would run to me and take me instead of Bella. She's too pale anyways.

My only negativity - the book is 425.3 times better. I am a Harry Potter fan. And the Potter movies did the books justice. The movies flowed. This movie on the other hand, left out a lot of great parts and included parts that in my opinion - we could do with out. I asked Tortilla Face what he thought about the movie since he had not read the book and he said "there wasn't enough fighting. but the movie was ok." so it was settled, I was too much of a critic.
So here I am admitting defeat. I had said I was not going to follow the trend, yet I have now managed to post a long blog about the book. and now I will have to end this blog so that I can continue to read the book (in secret of course, I am at work).
so people, if you see me missing for a while it's not that I do not care. I just don't care unless your name is Edward or Bella.

enjoy the silence-

Cin

0 silence breakers:

Post a Comment

break the silence... leave me a comment

All work found on Savor Silence by Cin
Creative Commons License
is copyrighted and licensed under a Creative Commons License
For more info, go to http://creativecommons.org/.